“Clay, you sing like Andre Agassi plays tennis, perfection, perfection. And I would kill
to write and produce your first CD.”
- Neil Sedaka, American Idol 2 guest judge
Tried and True, American Idol Super Star Alumni Clay Aiken’s first Public Television special, reaches back into the romantic past of the 50’s and 60’s, featuring many of the most iconic love songs ever written. Shot at the Memorial Auditorium in Clay’s home town of Raleigh, North Carolina, Tried and True features a full orchestra and big band. Clay is joined on stage by special guest and American Idol colleague Ruben Studdard, along with special guest Linda Eder, who is widely recognized as one of the best female vocalists of our time.
German born Alex Christensen is handling production and arrangements, and brings the considerable skills he developed working with Paul Anka on his acclaimed ‘Rock Swings’ album and Michael Bolton on his major Sinatra tribute ‘Bolton Swings Sinatra’ to this concept, as well as the more contemporary sounds of his own project Alex Swings & Oscar Sings, featured recently on the Oprah Winfrey show.
This special concert is the world premiere live performance of Clay’s forthcoming album, Tried and True, being released on Decca this Spring.
Mack The Knife • Unchained Melody • Can’t Take My Eyes Off You • Misty • What Kind Of Fool Am I • Its Only Make Believe • Crying • Moon River • Its Impossible • Suspicious Minds • Who’s Sorry Now • Eso Beso • Breaking Up Is Hard To Do • There’s A Kind O Hush • You Don’t Have To Say You Love Me
CD and DVD, including behind the scenes footage with Clay Aiken, Ruben Studdard, and Linda Eder will be available for pledge. Stations will also have the opportunity to pledge tickets to Clay’s upcoming Tried and True tour, as well as meet and greet opportunities. Clay will be available for station visits in support of pledge.
“When I review the tape [of the show] the next day, there’s lots of screaming and crying,”...”Then I recover the same way I do anytime I’m injured: ice, elevation and my Clay Aiken CD.”
- Ellen DeGeneres (US Weekend Magazine)
Clay Aiken: Tried and True will be available as a 60 minute core version, and 90 minute pledge event version for August pledge, 2010, distributed by PBS.
• Clay was the renowned runner up on the 2nd American Idol, who became superstar artist in his own right.
• Clay has sold over 10 million albums.
• Appeared on Broadway as lead in Spamalot.
• TV favorite, featured in many TV specials, The Tonight Show, Jimmy Kimmel Live, Saturday Night Live, TV episodes including Scrubs, 30 Rock, as well as his own Christmas TV Special, which he executive produced.
• NY Times Best-Selling author.
• Founded The National Inclusion Project (www.inclusionproject.org) honoring Autistic children
• Has headlined numerous sold-out national tours
“I always like the idea that you can turn on the radio and say, ‘Oh, that’s Clay Aiken.
Oh, that’s Barbra Streisand. Oh, that’s Frank Sinatra, Oh, that’s Tony Bennett.’ They’re a
star if you can identify them immediately by their sound. That kid has his own sound.
He’s got energy. He’s got soul. He’s got it all. That voice pours out of him.”
- Merv Griffin